Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Harry Potter Author Outs Gay Character: Today's Cartoon

Personally, I'm not "buying" J.K. Rowling's attempt to sell more books by revealing that characters from her popular "Harry Potter" series are suddenly gay. The way I see it, if "Dumbledore" the wizard was actually a homosexual, it would have been revealed in the story, since the character does not exist in any other capacity. In other words, if it doesn't happen on the page, it doesn't happen at all (unless of course, it happens in the movie).

To me, the idea of an author assigning traits to a character after their work is finished, makes me wonder why they even bother writing in the first place, when apparently it's much easier for them to just explain everything to you. I mean, throughout seven books, it is not like Rowling didn't have ample opportunity to reveal her character's sexuality to the reader... that is, if it mattered at all to the plot and she had actually decided he was gay while writing the series.

Now, I'm not saying that a whole lot of effort needed to be made to make the sexual orientation of Dumbledore more apparent in the book; in fact, I'm pretty sure that a scene with the wizard using his magic to score "Coldplay" tickets would have done the "trick" ;)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home