Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sopranos Finale: Today's Cartoon

A lot has been made of the final episode of "The Sopranos"; particularly the last scene, which cuts abruptly and leaves viewers uncertain as to the fate of the main characters. Some fans have expressed disappointment over the ambiguous nature of this conclusion, while others have applauded the finale for the exact same reason.

Basically, by setting up a final scenario, the writers have left it entirely up to the audience to decide what ultimately happens to the Soprano characters. This way, fans of the show are free to imagine the sort of ending that they want, while producers don't have to worry about presenting them with one that they don't. Personally, I prefer the idea that Tony Soprano got "whacked" in revenge for his hit on Phil Leotardo... because that for me is the best ending *I* can make, out of the pieces of information I was given.

It's certainly a clever way to finish a TV series, but the vague conclusion does make me glad that I don't have HBO. I mean, what's the point of paying for cable to watch a show that actually plays a lot better in my mind, for free?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wohoo first comment. i was kinda disapointed about the ending of the final season but i still think that the article is right and by not having a "real" set in stone ending, whatever happens in the end can change whenever i feel like.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home