Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Don Imus Suspended Over Controversial Remarks: Today's Cartoon

The way I see it, firing Don Imus for his disparaging comments about the Rutgers University women's basketball team would be a huge disservice to the American public; not because I agree with what he said, but because his dismissal wouldn't actually address the problem, it would merely censor it.

When it comes to social issues and controversy, society has a wonderful way of self-regulating, to determine whether something said is acceptable or not. But in order for that to happen, "controversy" must be allowed to occur. You see, I would much rather people were given free reign to say horrible things, than have their voices silenced and their attitudes remaining a secret; especially if those people are public figures. Basically, I would like the chance to be able to draw my own conclusions, rather than have activists and pressure groups make it for me, ahead of time.

To be honest, I really don't see the need to punish people like Don Imus, when all anyone has to do is gauge the public's reaction to their comments to understand that what they say is not acceptable. I think that at the end of the day, people should be asking themselves whose made to look worse... the Rutgers women's basketball team for comments made by Don Imus, or Imus himself for making them?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home