Friday, April 28, 2006

Today's Cartoon: Rapper Snoop Dogg Arrested After Brawl In London Airport

Growing up, I always dreamt of being part of an "entourage", or even better a "posse" (the smaller, more intimate of entourages). The problem was that I didn't know anybody famous to latch onto, so I would end up creating imaginary "superstars" and just follow them around all day :)

I think the most important thing about being a member of an entourage is the responsibility to not only make the "star" look important, but to make them look "powerful" as well. Promotion through bad behaviour is the key to success for the professional "hanger-on". The more "interest" that you can generate for your "star", the more "opportunities" will emerge for them. As a result, this will ensure that you remain in the lifestyle that you have since grown accustomed to.

The larger the entourage means the more frequent these self-preservating acts of "promotion" must be (in order for the group to survive). If Snoop Dogg travels with a 30 man entourage, that means his team has to work 15 times harder than Ryan Seacrest's entourage of 2 (including himself) to not only make sure that Snoop Dogg makes it into the newspapers, but that he can generate the kind of "celebrity status" which allows him to afford the 30 man entourage. Slugging it out with police officers at London's Heathrow Airport is an excellent way to accomplish both.

Hey! For all of you keeping score, this is cartoon number 100 for me :) I really hope that you are (still) enjoying them as much as I am enjoying making them.

3 Comments:

Blogger MikeFitz said...

G’day Kevin,

Cartoon number 100! Congratulations. I just love your work at “Beyond the Punchline”. Add this Aussie to your list of fans.

You've earned a permanent link from my blog’s home page at http://mike.brisgeek.com. It’s in the “Serious Funnies” group in the sidebar.

Politics is not my core business, but we all need to keep a critical eye on our American friends because if they sneeze, the rest of the world can catch (bird) 'flu or worse. As a Canadian, you probably have a better view than us folks at the other end of the planet. From what I've seen of your work, you are close enough to observe, but just far enough away to avoid being sucked into the vortex.

Keep up the good work.

Kind Regards,

Mike Fitzsimon

10:21 PM  
Blogger Stuart Robertson said...

Congratulations on comic #100! Keep up the great work. :-)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your support :)

Mike, it's always great to hear from my new Aussie friends. You're right, the "vortex" does "suck"; but I don't mind tossing my cartoons into it ;) Thank you for linking me to your blog. I am honoured that you consider my work to be on the same level as Scott Adams.

Stuart, thanks for the encouragement and for teaching me all about the wonderful world of web publishing.

Here's to the next 100!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home